Instalcom are looking for a number of Telecoms Field Operative Apprentices to join our team.

This is a fantastic opportunity to begin a career in Telecoms. Working with experienced Field Engineers you will learn the skills to to build, provide or repair telecom services for commercial or residential customers on the UK’s National Telecoms Access Network. Working on the copper and fibre connections to 4G and 5G services, homes and businesses from the local telephone exchanges. As an Apprentice, you would spend 20% of your time undertaking classroom-based training and the remaining 80% out in the field getting hands-on, practical experience with our existing qualified and experienced engineers.

Your duties will include

  • Interacting with a number of different customers depending on the specifics of each job. The customer could be a communication provider with whom the end customer has a contract for a telecom service e.g. Sky, Talk-Talk, BT, PlusNet.
  • As the Telecoms Field Operative Apprentice, you could also interact directly with the service providers’ customers – these could be residential, or office based.
  • Depending on the specific job you could be working on telecom equipment in a telephone exchange, at height, in underground networks, in residential properties and business properties, at the side of the road and in any other places where a telecom service is required.
  • As the Telecoms Field Operative Apprentice, you will be responsible for maintaining, repairing, upgrading, protecting and installing telecoms services on the UK’s National Telecom Access Network.
  • You will also have basic administration duties i.e. collating paperwork, confirming locations & forwarding information to office team, to complete each day

In addition, you will;

  • Work on the connections that deliver telephone, internet, data and TV services to households and businesses.
  • The majority of your work will be spent working outside in all kinds of weather.
  • As the Telecoms Field Operative Apprentice you will be required to work under supervision, alone or as part of a team as required.
  • Your work is allocated daily, either from the line manager or a work allocation centre via an electronic device.
  • The output and the quality of your work is audited by their line manager or an external auditor on a regular basis.

Entry Requirements:

Grade A-C / 4-9 GCSE’s (or equivalent) in Maths and English or completion of Level 1 or 2 Functional Skills exams. If not currently held, Functional Skills can be undertaken as part of the Apprenticeship.

Skills Required:

  • PC literacy skills
  • Good verbal and written communication skills
  • Good maths and English skills

Personal Qualities:

  • Team Working
  • Communication
  • Hard Working
  • Flexible
  • Punctual

Training to be Provided:

You will attend South Thames College for your off the job training, where you will learn the skills Build, provide or repair telecom services for commercial or residential customers on the UK’s National Telecom Access Network.

There will also be some training delivered at the company Head Office  in Borehamwood, through our Instalcom Centre of Excellence.

You will also complete functional skills if you do not have the required qualifications in maths and English.

 

Things to Consider:

This is a field based role and a driving licence would be advantageous though not essential.
Future Prospects:
This is a growth area, following this apprenticeship Apprentices may be able to progress internally.

To apply, please send your CV to cvs@instalcom.co.uk or amber-rose.crossley@instalcom.co.uk ensuring that you mention the “Level 2 Field Operative Apprenticeship”.